What is the Counseling Center?
The Counseling Center provides a broad range of high quality, innovative, and ethical services that address the psychological, educational, social, and developmental needs of UI students.
Who can use your services?
Registered students can utilize all counseling, educational and outreach services.
Faculty or staff who concerned about a student, can contact the Counseling Center for information and assistance.
Faculty, staff and departments can request educational programs and consultations.
What services do you provide?
The Counseling Center provides a wide variety of services to help students reach a balanced Illinois experience, including:
- Short-term counseling
- Emergency counseling
- Referrals to outside professionals for students requiring long-term services
- Group counseling and long-term support groups
- Advocacy programs to support the mental, educational, and social well-being of students across campus
- Workshops, consultations and presentations to campus units on issues related to the psychological, social, and educational well-being of students
- Alcohol and drug use counseling and educational programs
- Self-help educational resources on various issues including:
- Strategies for academic success
- Adjusting to college life
- Alcohol and drug use
- Depression, grief, or anxiety
- Family and relationships
- Diversity and gender
- Training for graduate and undergraduate students who intend to become mental health professionals
How much do counseling services cost?
All services are free.
Do I need an appointment to see a counselor?
Generally, yes, although some emergency services are available quickly.
How do I make an appointment?
Initial appointments are made on a same-day basis by calling 333-3704 any time after 7:50 am. These appointments fill up quickly, so calling early in the day is advised.
Emergency consultations to students with urgent mental health concerns are provided between 8 am and 5 pm, Monday through Friday. Please call 333-3704 if you have an immediate need to meet with a counselor. After 5 pm and on weekends, please contact the Crisis Line at 359-4141 to speak with a counselor.
Where is the Counseling Center located?
The Counseling Center is located on the 2nd Floor, Student Services Building, 610 East John Street, (Corner of John and 6th Street).
What are your hours?.
The Counseling Center is open Monday through Friday, 8 am-5 pm
How do you collaborate with the UI Wellness Center?
We facilitate various psychological and emotional health programs at the UI Wellness Center. Examples are laughter circles, mindfulness and stress management programs. Check the UIWC events calendar for upcoming programs.
How can I learn more about the Counseling Center?
For appointments or more information call (217) 333-3704.
For after-hours emergencies, call the Crisis Line at (217) 359-4141.
Visit our website at www.counselingcenter.illinois.edu.