Wellness Zone Check-Ups
The McKinley Fitness Peers are offering free wellness check-ups on the first and third Wednesday of each month this semester. These wellness check-ups consist of the measurement of body composition and blood pressure. There will also be an area for you to ask questions that you might have related to fitness or nutrition.
Fall 2012 Details
Free to UI students and Campus Rec members. There is no advance sign-up for these free wellness check-ups. First-come, first-served. Please check out the description of the wellness check-ups below.
Time and Location
First and third Wednesday of each month beginning in September.
Entrance to locker rooms on the ARC concourse level
Body Composition Zone
The Body Composition Analysis will be measured by utilizing a Tanita Bioelectrical Impedance Scale. This test will require height and weight measures and will require you to stand on a scale for approximately 5 seconds. You will receive a small print-out of the results along with an information sheet explaining the results.
For accurate measurement of body composition using bioelectrical impedance analysis, you must follow the following protocol:
- No alcohol consumption for 48 hours prior to test.
- Avoid intense exercise for 12 hours prior to test.
- Avoid all diuretics (coffee, tea, caffeinated soda) for at least 12 hours prior to test.
- Avoid eating or drinking 4 hours prior to test.
- Empty bladder 30 minutes before test.
- Menstruating women should ensure they are at the same stage of their menstrual cycle for each test.
Blood Pressure Zone
The Blood Pressure Screening will provide you with an estimate of your current blood pressure. This blood pressure screening will require you to sit relaxed in a chair while the test is administered. This test will take approximately two minutes. You will receive an information sheet with your results.
For accurate assessment of blood pressure you must follow the following protocol:
- Avoid exercise prior to test.
- Refrain from smoking during the 30 minutes prior to the test.
- Refrain from ingesting caffeine during the 30 minutes prior to the test.
Q & A Zone
Get your nutrition and fitness-related questions answered by health care professionals from the Sportwell Center (McKinley Health Center's Sports Medicine Clinic) with no appointment necessary. Free take-home educational materials will also be available on nutrition and fitness.