How Campus Recreation is Going Green!
- Working with Facilities and Services to prepare CRCE and the ARC to be part of the Runtime Reduction Program regarding heat/air usage.
- Ice Arena locker room and lobby benches are made from recycled plastic.
- Adventure Center countertop made from 100% recycled wood.
- Installation of automatic towel dispensers and foam soap dispensers at all facilities. Foam soap is a green product.
- Ice Arena has Astro-foil ceiling: it is reflective, providing additional light while not absorbing heat. Between new cooling towers, a new ceiling, new lights and a low-emissivity foil system, the energy load at the Ice Arena should be reduced by 30-45%.
- All lighting, indoors and outdoors, has been changed to fluorescent, metal halide or mercury vapor.
- Two synthetic turf fields cuts down on seed, water, fertilizer, pesticides and herbicides.
- Switching to green cleaning chemicals wherever possible as well as installing automatic dispensers to insure we are getting the right ratio of water to chemical instead of depending on each person to always use the right ratio.
- Recycling sorting containers throughout facilities.
- Print materials on recycled paper.
- Green Hours at the ARC with reduced lighting from 6:30 am-4 pm.
- Light sensors in racquetball courts and offices.
- Water reduction with dual-flush toilets, low-flow urinals, and automatic faucets at all facilities.
- Certified as a green-cleaning department.
- Installing solar-thermal system to heat indoor pool.