Hours & Location
Visit ARC Open Hours to see when the Adventure Center and Climbing Wall are open.
The Climbing Wall is located on the Concourse Level of the Activities and Recreation Center (ARC).
The Climbing Wall is a 35-foot tall, state-of-the-art manufactured structure designed to challenge first-timers or seasoned vets. Routes are changed regularly to maintain a high level of fun and challenge. You don’t need experience, equipment, or a belayer. We have it all. Just drop in during open climbing hours and the staff will outfit you with the necessary gear for a small fee and provide you with a belay.
We also offer a variety of clinics to help increase your climbing skills. When you complete our indoor top-rope endorsement clinic/test you will be allowed to belay and climb on the wall without the use of our staff.
Want to increase the challenge? Complete our indoor lead climbing clinic and experience the thrill of putting the rope up as you climb. There’s also an advanced climbing movement clinic as well as clinics for families and kids.
Want to take your climbing adventure outdoors? We can help.
Climbing Wall Policies
- Follow all directions of Adventure Recreation staff.
- UI students, Campus Rec members, and paid guests only.
- Must be 16 years old or accompanied at all times by an adult.
- Check-in at Adventure Center before entering wall area.
- Participants are not allowed to provide instruction to others.
- Hands may not extend beyond first bolt line when bouldering. Use a bouldering pad and provide your own spotter.
- Do not pass under or over other climbers when bouldering.
- You must pass the top-rope endorsement test to top-rope belay.
- You must pass the lead endorsement test to lead or lead-belay.
- Technical climbing shoes required.
- When waiting to climb remain near the benches or outside the wall area if crowded.
- No sharing rental gear.
- Figure-eight follow-through is the only tie-in knot allowed.
- Palm down belay technique only. Brake hand always on rope.
- Verbal commands and visual safety check before every climb are required.
- ID carabineer must not be transferred to anyone else and it must be clearly visible on your harness.
- No personal gear without signing the appropriate waiver at the Adventure Center.
- No loose chalk. Chalk balls only. Minimize use of chalk.
- No food or glass bottles in wall area.
- Use lockers to store valuables. All personal items brought into wall area must be stored inside cubbies.
- No excessive yelling and no profanity.
- Appropriate attire is required: shoes, shorts/pants, shirt covering the midriff.
- No cell phone, PDA, MP3 player use while in the wall area.
Climbing Wall Rentals
Have your birthday party, scouting events, community and church socials, or other gatherings at the ARC's Climbing Wall.
Other Wall Rentals
Please visit Facility Rentals for more information about renting any of the Campus Recreation facilities including the Climbing Wall.
Climbing equipment is available to rent and limited types of items are for purchase at the Adventure Center.